Greenhouse Gas Emissions (New)

-5

Maine is meeting its statutory goal to reduce greenhouse gas emissions

Favorable movement since the last available data

Benchmark: Greenhouse gas emissions will fall 45% below 1990 levels by 2030.

Overview Fig. A

Overview

In 2003, Maine became the first U.S. state to enact a statutory target for greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions, which it met when emissions fell to 10% below 1990 levels in 2012. In 2019, further legislation set the goal of reducing emissions 45% below 1990 levels by 2030 and 80% by 2050. Emissions are calculated biennially by the Maine Department of Environmental Protection (MDEP) based on computer models developed by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency.

From 2016 to 2017, GHG emissions fell nearly 5%, from 18.4 to 17.5 million metric tons of carbon dioxide. In 2017, emissions were 17.5% below 1990 levels, meaning Maine is continuing to progress toward its 2030 goal.

According to DEP, about 90% of Maine’s emissions are from energy consumption, mostly from the combustion of petroleum products. The other 10% is from agriculture, industrial processes, and waste management. Movement toward renewable energy sources and lower carbon fuels such as natural gas have contributed to reduced emissions.

Fig. A

On mobile? Viewing this data is easier at a computer.

Maine Greenhouse Gas Emissions

National Council of State Legislatures, Maine Department of Environmental Protection