Greenhouse Gas Emissions
Maine is meeting its statutory goal to reduce greenhouse gas emissions
Favorable movement since the last available data
Benchmark: Greenhouse gas emissions will fall 45% below 1990 levels by 2030.
In 2003, Maine became the first U.S. state to enact a statutory target for greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions, which it met when emissions fell to 10% below 1990 levels in 2012. In 2019, further legislation set the goal of reducing emissions 45% below 1990 levels by 2030 and 80% by 2050. Emissions are calculated biennially by the Maine Department of Environmental Protection (MDEP) based on computer models developed by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency.
From 2018 to 2019, GHG emissions fell 2%, from 16.8 to 16.4 million metric tons of carbon dioxide. In 2019, emissions were 23% below 1990 levels, meaning Maine is continuing to progress toward its 2030 goal.
According to DEP, about 91% of Maine’s emissions are from energy consumption, mostly from the combustion of petroleum products. The other 9% is from agriculture, industrial processes, and waste management. Movement toward renewable energy sources and lower carbon fuels such as natural gas have contributed to reduced emissions.
On mobile? Viewing this data is easier at a computer.
Maine Greenhouse Gas Emissions
Maine Department of Environmental Protection